Belarus State Medical University is the leading medical training university in the Republic of Belarus with international recognition and competence. It dates back to 1921 when the University of History was founded as a part of the State Medical University. The medical faculty became an independent university in 1930. On June 28, 2001 Minsk State Medical Institute received the name of Belarus State Medical University as the leading educational institution of the country. In 1925 first 21 graduate doctors received their diplomas. In 1930 it was established in the medical department of the State Medical Institute of Belarus. Between June 1941 and October 1943, the Institute stopped its work and continued in Russia afterwards. In 1944, the Institute returned to Minsk. In 1960 the Dental Faculty was established. In 1964, it started working in the Faculty of Pediatrics and Preventive Medicine. In 1967 Faculty of Medicine for foreign students was opened in the university. In 1971, the Minsk State Medical University was awarded a state medal by the USSR for the custody and the achievement of public health. In 1995, the Military Medical Faculty was opened. In 2001, university achieved the title and position on the topic of high medical education.